Friday, September 3, 2010

ministry

Although I work as the assistant to the pastor of my church, I am not considered a pastoral assistant because I am “not involved in ministry”; apparently the term pastoral assistant implies that I am being groomed to lead a congregation. But I believe that I am involved in ministry…it’s just more behind-the-scenes stuff. You know…office stuff, design work, lots and lots of preparation for Sunday mornings.

I’m the sender of communiqués.

And the only congregations that I’ve addressed in the past two years aren’t made up of shiny young professionals and churchy folks with deep pockets. It’s been homeless and transient ladies and gents with body odor, no jobs, growling bellies…the alcoholic debate team.

I desire to step up into more traditional ministerial roles. Not sure that I’ll get to do that where I’m at. I actually considered joining the Anglican Church and pursuing holy orders. My better half sorta squashed that idea. Maybe it’s me that’s holding me back. That’s why I recently ditched the big plugs I’ve worn in my ears for so long. (My stretched earlobes without the plugs look like cat butts, by the way.) I’m currently in the process of applying to the CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) program through UVA. More on that later, but I feel pushed/called/directed to this…thing…This thing that I never really saw myself doing.

So that’s where I’m at right now… a married aspiring lay monastic with ministerial aspirations and ears that look like the butts of cats.

No comments: