Friday, September 3, 2010

commitment

It’s been so long since I wrote here. But so much is going on now, that it seems like time to get back to it. 21 days from today, I will be immersed in silence and liturgy and reflection and contemplation at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Trappist, Kentucky. 23 days from today I will be making my formal commitment as a Lay Cistercian of Gethsemani Abbey. I’ll be placing a promise on an altar before the gathered community of the LCG, the cloistered monks, and Abbot Elias Dietz. Then I’ll return home, dedicated to doing the best I can to honor that promise of service, stability, conversatio morum, prayer, and obedience. I’ve been in formation for 2 years now. It’s been a great time of learning from my mentors, my co-aspirants, the monks, the desert fathers, the early church fathers, excellent authors, Godly friends, random strangers, and of course my Creator.

2 comments:

fleenor five said...

Thanks brother, for your candidness. Everything but the "cat butt," I can relate to. Keep listening and trying to be faithful to what you hear. Peace to you, Friend.

Charlie said...

Truth be told, I think in the bigger biblical picture your ministry to the "alcoholic debate team" is very much a traditional ministry role. It's much more in line with the ministry of the apostles than some of the show-business that passes for ministry today.